On June 4, I observed a lady on a quad spraying 2, 4 D on dandelions in the park in Cochrane. She was covered in a cloud of the spray whenever she was travelling with the wind.
I stopped her and asked who she works for and asked her why she was not using breathing protection.
She was working for a contractor hired by the Town of Cochrane. What I want to know is why the town is spraying this lethal chemical on the parks frequented by our children and citizens?
Can Cochrane town withstand a multi-million dollar class action lawsuit when the children become sick?
2,4 D was developed in 1940 by the Dow chemical Company. It is cancer causing and interferes with the endocrine system and the thyroid functions. It is especially lethal to children. The effects linger for a long time and although the town takes down its signs after 48 hours and advises it is ok to use the parks when the chemical is dry, the effects last forever.
Why would the contractor be unaware of the requirements to wear breathing protection? Why would this be applied on a windy day with drifting spray wafting over the town? With the knowledge we have today, why would the Town of Cochrane, one of the most progressive communities in Canada, still use this lethal chemical?
In other parts of the world dandelions are prized for making wine with their flowers, salad greens with their leaves and a liver detox and tea from the roots. Here someone has decided they are noxious weeds and a war has been declared. A war without consideration for the health of our children, the health of our bees and the health of our environment. Two simple cuttings can stop the flowers from going to seed.
Don't take my word for this. Online information publications are available, for example, "2.4-D: The most Dangerous Pesticide you've Never Heard About ... " and many others,
This is a poor waste of taxpayer's money and puts the town at risk of a serious lawsuit. Why are allergies and Attention Deficit Disorder rampant in our children today? Maybe the problem starts in your park in your community. I know there are two sides to this argument but with children involved let us err on the good side of caution
Note: I do not live in Cochrane but I try to buy local and also use the parks. I have a small child and this concerns me directly. I also raise bees and this chemical is lethal to bees.