With summer behind us many residents are beginning to winterize their summer recreational properties. Alberta RCMP is encouraging citizens to consider crime prevention when doing so.
In October 2018, 70 break and enters were reported to seasonal properties and more than 550 for the year. May was the second highest month with 56 reports. While many break and enters happen during the winter season residents aren't aware until they enter their properties in the summer months.
Some tips to protect your property throughout the winter:
- Install timers on interior lights
- Bring home expensive tools and toys
- Install motion sensor lights outside
- Post signs stating all valuables removed
- Check on your property periodically
- Lock all doors and windows
- Put away outdoor furniture that can be used to get to the second floor
- Install solid-core doors
RCMP ask the public to not hesitate to call if they notice any suspicious activity.
For more saftey tips throughout the month of October, follow #SeasonalSafety.